Software Engineering Manager
At Sky Betting & Gaming we don't have Teams we have Tribes. Each Tribe is made up of small, agile and autonomous squads who work collaboratively with a shared purpose.
So whether you join our Bet Tribe, Early Careers Tribe or anything in between, you will work with a group of people with raw energy, natural talent, and the kind of spirit that helps us think big, act bold, and change the game.
It all means that we've created the kind of workplace that wins awards such as a place on the prestigious list of Sunday Times 100 Best Companies to Work For.
What you'll do:
An Engineering Manager is responsible for a group of up to 20-30 software engineers of various experience levels and will usually have up to 7 direct reports consisting of Tech Leads. The role reports into a Head of Technology alongside other Engineering Managers, Test Managers and Design/UX Managers. The role is broadly responsible for both people management for this team, and the "how" we deliver against our business goals from an in-house software engineering perspective. You must be a confident technical leader with experience in an evolving and dynamic web-scale environment under an agile DevOps ethos where operational performance is a significant part of engineering best practice.
How you'll do it:
Reporting to the Head of Tech, you will:
- Engineering People Management
- Recruit a strong team of top-notch highly motivated software engineers at all levels, manage skills gaps and reduce key people dependencies.
- Develop & motivate those in your team by providing clear direction, opportunities for learning & direct coaching. Pro-actively manage any individual performance problems.
- Define and maintain the best team structures (aligned to a culture of "small autonomous agile teams") to match the current focus of our business.
- Create A Sustainable & Scalable Engineering Delivery Pipeline
- Evangelise & prioritise engineering best practice (the "how" of achieving the particular business goal) across all squads so we have a clear direction for improvement.
- Specific examples are that this role is responsible for managing the levels of technical debt, common coding practices, ageing code risks, framework & language choice, development build and deployment tooling.
- Be responsible for engineering SDLC adherence against our wider compliance requirements. Make sure we do this in a way that maintains our low-bureaucracy high-trust working environment.
- Ensure that technical expertise in incident management, root cause analysis, post incident decisions and technical oversight of remedial work is carried out.
- Champion Quality and Continuous Improvement
- Work with Design Leads, Test Managers and other stakeholders to ensure we deliver high quality engineering solutions with the right balance between delivery speed vs operational risk.
- Constantly make our engineering better: the skills and expertise of the team, improving delivery predictability and speed, operational awareness and responsibility.
- Highlight engineering risks and improvement benefits widely around the business to gain traction on making those improvements happen.
- Be a Technical Leader
- This role is part of a tribe technology leadership team, and has a strong voice in all key technology decisions.
- Work with product, finance, & marketing stakeholders to agree and prioritise the roadmap. Do this in a clear, consistent and transparent way based on appropriate criteria, e.g. business benefit, customer experience impact.
- Work with the architecture team to help define our platform architectural vision to support the roadmap, and mobilise your engineers to take us there.
- Work with the wider tribe leadership to plan and manage deliveries and report against progress toward our vision and objectives.
Key Characteristics and Experience:
- Experience of leading engineering teams in an evolving and dynamic environment, ideally in online betting & gaming or similar web-scale industry where software is always-on, and customer experience is always more than a consideration
- A committed team player who demonstrates exceptional communication, interpersonal skills and consistent high energy levels, who recognises the importance of people in technology solutions.
- An experienced leader with a reputation for thought leadership, strategic thinking and with a strong technical background.
- An analytic problem solver with a strong sense of autonomy, but with an open collaborative approach to getting the job done.
How we work:
- Yes, we do gambling. No, we don't have a high-pressure, competitive environment. Your colleagues want you to succeed as much as you do
- We encourage squad autonomy. If you don't like the way something is done, do something about it!
- Friday afternoons are your personal learning and development sessions. Use this time to spend your GBP1000 Tech Ninja fund, collaborate with your colleagues - we want you to be excited about this!
- We understand you have a home life and aim to be flexible, both with the hours you work and the option to work from home one day a week
- Our engineers work closely with colleagues in all positions, so a high level of interpersonal skill is important to us. We need everyone in the squad to understand the goal for the week
- We are not building a monolithic enterprise app - think micro-services and a lean approach with quick running tests, automation and deployment
- We promote incremental deliveries: giving value to the business quickly through feature-based delivery, observing and adapting as you go
- We value previous experience developing for high-demand & high-availability environments
We also offer an attractive relocation package for candidates that live outside the Yorkshire region, including those outside the UK.
Our People Ambition is to attract & develop diverse & talented people to meet the current and future growth needs of SB&G. Together, our aim is to create the Best Digital Business to work at.