Estate Agent Qualifications - A Guide

Estate Agent Qualifications - so what is required to get you into the Estate Agency profession?

In terms of property jobs and careers, all estate agents who meet the required estate agent qualifications (which involves completing certain necessary estate agent courses) enjoy challenging, rewarding opportunities. If you are interested in the larger field of working as an estate agent, you are going to find that there are a number of possibilities you can explore. These possibilities serve to illustrate just how different the responsibilities of an estate agent can be from those who seek construction jobs and other opportunities from the graduate property jobs made available to them upon graduation from one of the property universities available.

Real estate jobs in general abound. You can opt to seek out commercial property jobs, or you can find work through the types of jobs that are made available to the different types of estate agents.

What Are The Estate Agent Qualifications Required??

In order to work as an estate agent in the property sector you do not need to obtain a specific degree. However, you are still going to need to meet certain estate agent qualifications. A certain degree of work experience can also prove to be invaluable, when it comes to finding property jobs within this specific field that will appeal to you. To that end, a good educational background can prove to be invaluable.

In order to make the most of any estate agent courses you are already planning to take, you will want to keep the following qualifications for estate agents in mind:

  • Residential lettings agents and residential property management: Upon graduating from one of the property universities available to you, exploring the estate agent qualifications required of you will be your next step. In order to work as a letting agent, for example, you will need to join a professional organization such as ARLA. The National Federation of Property Professionals (NFoPP) group is a sister org of the ARLA membership division. By exploring things like NFoPP level 2 awards, or NFoPP level 3 awards, you can obtain the knowledge base and professional connections you require to be successful. Scotland and Northern Ireland have different qualifications from England Wales.
  • Residential sales agents: This example of the real estate jobs available to those seeking graduate property jobs, you will once again find yourself focusing on the opportunities found through the National Federation of Property Professionals. In particular, you are going to want to focus on the requirements laid forth for NFoPP Level 3 or Level Six Technical Awards (1). The next step up from this point will come in the form of an NFoPP Level 4 Certificate. You will need at least five years of industry experience, in order to get to that point. You can then qualify for a Fellow membership within the professional organization NAEA.
  • Commercial property agents: There are certainly an assortment of commercial property jobs available to those interested in that particular example of property jobs. Those who work as estate agents within commercial property will need to obtain the NFoPP Awarding Body Level 3 Technical Award in Commercial Property Agency. You can then apply for membership with a professional organization like the ICBA (Institution of Commercial and Business Agents). If you want to obtain a Fellow membership later on, you will need to go up to the Level 4 Certificate for Commercial Property Agency, in addition to have five-plus years of experience.




Back to listing